This delicious dish can be found at the Paradise Garden Grill for the Viva Navidad celebration at Disney California Adventure Park.
Serves 8 – 10
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1 to 1½-inch cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, and split lengthwise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt, divided
- 6 dried Guajillo chiles
- 2 dried ancho or New Mexico chiles
- ½ medium sweet onion, cut into large pieces
- 3 medium or 2 large plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise and cored
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- ½ small head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 6 radishes, sliced thinly
- 3 limes, quartered
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, large stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- Rinse diced pork under cold water until water runs clear. Transfer pork to a large stock pot over medium-high heat; add 8 cups cold water. Bring to a simmer; skim off and discard foam and solids that float to surface.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaves, onion, cumin, and 1 tablespoon salt. Turn heat to medium to keep soup at a light simmer. Cover and simmer 90 minutes (do not boil). Periodically skim foam from surface.
- Meanwhile, remove and discard stems, seeds, and large veins from dried chiles. Break into large pieces in a medium saucepan and add 3 cups water. Top with sweet onion, tomatoes, and garlic cloves, keeping chiles submerged. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside 15 to 20 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, puree chile mixture with cooking liquid in a blender until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into soup pot, pressing solids with back of spoon to extract liquid.
- Simmer soup for 90 minutes, then stir in black pepper, oregano, and hominy. Taste and season with additional salt, if desired.
- Remove a piece of pork and taste for doneness. If meat is not tender, simmer 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Serve hot soup with garnishes for topping.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.