Today The Walt Disney Company revealed exciting new details about Shanghai Disneyland, Disney’s first theme park in Mainland China—scheduled to open in spring 2016. The park will feature six themed lands, innovative attractions, and immersive entertainment designed especially for Chinese guests.
At a presentation held today at the Shanghai Expo Centre, Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger revealed a scale model of the world-class theme park and displays showcasing key highlights of unique attractions, entertainment, dining, and hotels.
“We are building something truly special here in Shanghai that not only showcases the best of Disney’s storytelling but also celebrates and incorporates China’s incredibly rich heritage to create a one-of-a-kind destination that will delight and entertain the people of China for generations to come,” Iger said. “We are taking everything we’ve learned from our six decades of exceeding expectations—along with our relentless innovation and famous creativity to create a truly magical place that is both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.”
Shanghai Disneyland, a joint venture between Disney and its partner, Shanghai Shendi Group, will feature six themed lands:
- Adventure Isle will immerse guests in a newly discovered lost world, filled with hidden treasures. The mighty Roaring Mountain will tower over guests and they may blaze their own trails at Camp Discovery, travel around the world on Soaring over the Horizon, or embark on the thrilling rafting adventure through the heart of Adventure Isle on Roaring Rapids.
- Gardens of Imagination celebrates the wonders of nature and the joy of imagination. Guests will take a spin on the Fantasia Carousel, soar on the back of Dumbo the Flying Elephant, and enjoy the area’s iconic Disney entertainment, including Castle stage shows and Ignite the Dream, a Nighttime Spectacular of Magic and Light. From several places in this land, guests will enjoy Mickey’s Storybook Express, a parade with its own musical soundtrack and colorful performers on the longest parade route in a Disney park.
- Mickey Avenue is the first main entry at a Disney park inspired by the colorful personalities of Mickey Mouse and his pals. In the neighborhoods of this whimsical avenue, guests will share a hug and get a photo with some all-time favorite Disney characters. Avenue M Arcade, one of the many shops along the avenue, will feature the largest selection of gifts and collectibles inside the theme park.
- Tomorrowland celebrates the limitless possibilities and optimism of the future in Shanghai. Disney’s innovative use of technology has produced a land where guests will go to infinity and beyond on Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue, a new space ranger adventure, or break the bonds of gravity on Jet Packs. A massive, color-shifting canopy will lure guests to TRON Lightcycle Power Run, a coaster-style attraction where guests board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles for one of the most thrilling adventures at any Disney park.
- Treasure Cove will be the first pirate-themed land in a Disney park, a place to join the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones. As guests explore this pirate world, they will enter Pirates of the Caribbean—Battle for the Sunken Treasure, an attraction that transforms a boat ride into a journey with cutting-edge innovations in robotics, animation, set design, and multimedia. Guests will board a pirate ship, paddle through the scenic cove on Explorer Canoes, and dine at Barbossa’s Bounty.
- Fantasyland, inspired by Disney’s animated films, will be the largest land and home to the Enchanted Storybook Castle. Guests will experience familiar Disney stories as they ride Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, go in and out of tunnels glowing with dazzling diamonds on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and take flight over the skies of London on Peter Pan’s Flight. They may also explore the Hundred Acre Wood with Winnie the Pooh or follow Alice through a Wonderland maze.
Two experiences created especially for Shanghai Disneyland will be located near Tomorrowland: Star Wars Launch Bay will be a celebration of the Star Wars Galaxy that will immerse guests in a state-of-the-art cinematic experience; and Marvel Universe brings guests up-close-and-personal with Marvel Super Heroes and takes them inside the world of Marvel.
At the park’s center, Enchanted Storybook Castle will be the tallest, largest, and most interactive castle at any Disney park—it’s also the first castle in a Disney park to represent all of the Disney princesses.
The Resort will feature two unique hotels when it opens: the Art Nouveau-inspired Shanghai Disneyland Hotel and the Toy Story Hotel, inspired by the beloved Disney•Pixar films. The Disneytown shopping, dining, and entertainment district will be home to the Walt Disney Grand Theatre, which will be the separate-ticket venue for the global premiere in Mandarin of Disney’s theatrical event, The Lion King. And the nearby Wishing Star Park offers natural wonders that include lovely gardens and a glittering lake.
For 60 years, Disney parks have been creating lifelong memories for their guests, and Shanghai Disneyland will extend this legacy. Our passports are ready… we’ll see you in Shanghai!