By the D23 Team
In celebration of the 100th anniversary of The Walt Disney Company, the upcoming Fall 2023 issue of Disney twenty-three will take fans on a trip down memory lane in honor of the company’s centennial this October.
The special commemorative issue—a meaningful keepsake as part of the Disney100 celebration—will feature original, exclusive sketch art of Mickey Mouse from artist and the official voice of Mickey Mouse, Bret Iwan. Also in this issue, the CEO of The Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger, shares a letter of gratitude to the passionate fans who inspire Disney to go farther and reach higher.
The new issue, to be delivered directly to Gold Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, will include an account from Walt Disney Archives experts on how Walt and Roy Disney defied all expectations to become the founders of the Disney Brothers Cartoon Studio in 1923. Fans will read quotes from the brothers themselves as firsthand testimony of their fascinating journey. Plus, take a closer look at the foundation of The Walt Disney Company through one of Walt Disney’s driving principles: innovation. Readers will learn more about the art and science behind the revolutionary technology and techniques that have shaped Disney stories and experiences through the decades.
The commemorative issue will also feature personal stories from Disney Legends Josh Gad and Tracee Ellis Ross, the cast of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, and additional talent including Rosario Dawson, star of the upcoming Disney+ show Ahsoka. Then dig a little deeper into the evolution of organized fandom, from the Mickey Mouse Clubs of the 1930s to modern cosplay for Marvel and Star Wars.
Music plays a large part in fans’ connection to Disney stories and experiences, and there is one unparalleled partnership that created the standard for Disney music. Whether floating through a world of laughter in “it’s a small world,” being reminded that “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” in Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress or stepping in time with Bert and Mary in Mary Poppins (1964), brothers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman were instrumental in creating songs that have captured hearts—and been stuck in heads—for the past 60 years. In this issue, the Disney Legends recount intimate moments in their own words through archival interviews.
Plus, follow beloved stories from page to parks and get a behind-the-scenes look at how the magic-makers at Disney turn drawings, storyboards, and animation into real-life experiences. Later in the issue, dive into the unknown with director Chris Buck and the Frozen design team, as well as producer Mary Livanos of Marvel Studios’ upcoming The Marvels, as they share the inside scoop on how these imaginary worlds are built for the big screen, creating intricate new realms for fans to enjoy across multiple stories.
The new issue, available first to Gold Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, also takes a trip down memory lane in an eye-popping parade of 100 characters from all 62 Walt Disney Animation Studios feature films, from 1937’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to Wish, coming out this November.
Also in the Fall 2023 issue of Disney twenty-three:
- Revisit star-studded movie premieres through the years in a unique D Society feature
- Step up to the plate and discover Disney’s long history of telling stories through sports, from animated Mickey Mouse and Goofy shorts to modern-day ESPN programming
- Walk in Walt’s footsteps through The Happiest Place on Earth with legendary Walt Disney Imagineer Kim Irvine
- Take a closer look at the ways The Walt Disney Company has given back to the community, a legacy started by Walt Disney himself
- Read a special By the Numbers: Disney100 looking back at The Walt Disney Company from 1974–1998—the third in a four-part series
Disney twenty-three is delivered directly to fans’ doorsteps and is offered first to D23 Gold Members as a benefit of their membership. The latest issue will begin arriving before the end of August. Want the publication for yourself? Join D23 here.
Along with this commemorative issue, members will enjoy even more ways to celebrate Disney100 with D23: The Official Disney Fan Club:
- Destination D23 Presented by Lug – Celebrating 100 Years of Disney: Our biggest Disney fan event of the year will take place at Walt Disney World Resort September 8–10. For those unable to attend in person, select presentations at Destination D23 will be livestreamed on D23.com for audiences to enjoy no matter where they are in the world. Check out the latest details here!
- Disney100 Gala: D23 Members are invited to celebrate the actual 100th anniversary of the company at a very special event taking place at The Walt Disney Studios lot in October. Ticket information and additional event details will be shared soon.
- D23 Gold Member Pin: This D23 Gold Member-exclusive pin commemorates 100 years of Disney entertainment and honors our most devoted fans. It features a miniature bas-relief likeness of the Mickey Mouse “Leader of the Club” Milestone Statue that is part of the D23 Gold Member Collector Set. Celebrate the Gold and the Platinum with this collectors’ keepsake. Learn more here.
In addition to exclusive access to these great offerings, D23 Gold Members will also receive the 2023 Gold Member Collector Set, which features the Mickey Mouse “Leader of the Club” Milestone Statue, when renewing or joining this year. This icon of the Disney100 celebration was designed with platinum panache by artist James Fauntleroy. The 2023 Gold Member Collector Set also includes a choice among four Membership Card designs featuring beloved characters from Disney, Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars, plus a special Disney100-themed Membership Certificate.
Get More Disney with D23 Gold Membership
Enjoy exclusive discounts and access to special events and merch.
Also includes our quarterly publication and annual Collector Set.