By the D23 Team
The Walt Disney Company will mark its 100th anniversary in 2023, timed to its founding by Walt Disney and Roy O. Disney on October 16, 1923. The year 2023 will celebrate the journey and storytelling of Disney’s creative visionaries across the decades, as well as the fans and families who have brought Disney into their hearts to create cherished memories during the past 100 years.
In 2023, Disney100 will introduce new experiences with beloved characters along with heartwarming new stories to delight audiences and guests around the world. There will also be a slate of exciting events around the globe to mark this milestone, including:
- At Disney Parks, 2023 will be full of surprises and new offerings. The festivities start January 27 at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, when guests will enjoy the grand opening of the new attraction Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway and two all-new nighttime spectaculars—World of Color – One at Disney California Adventure Park and Wondrous Journeys at Disneyland Park—along with special entertainment, food, beverage, and merchandise offerings. Additionally, Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest, airing Saturday, December 31, on ABC, and ESPN’s broadcast of the 109th Rose Bowl Game on Monday, January 2, will both celebrate Disneyland as a home of Disney100. Later in 2023, the celebration will come to life at Walt Disney World Resort. International Disney Parks destinations will feature new offerings and surprises throughout the year, all leading up to the 100th anniversary of the company on October 16.
- Disney100: The Exhibition, opening February 18 at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a 15,000-square-foot exhibition that invites guests to step into their favorite Disney stories through innovative and immersive technology throughout 10 galleries. As part of the exhibition, the Walt Disney Archives is opening its vault of treasures, showcasing more than 250 of its “Crown Jewels,” rarely seen original artworks and artifacts, costumes and props, and other memorabilia. The exhibition is beginning a five-year journey that will make stops across the United States and throughout Europe, including Munich and London in 2023.
- In Europe, fans will have the opportunity to experience Disney stories and songs in new, interactive ways, including a multi-territory European Concert Tour, Disney100: The Concert, kicking off in April; and an immersive Wonder of Friendship experience, debuting in May.
- Comic-Con Experience (CCXP) 2022 in Brazil marked the beginning of The Walt Disney Company’s anniversary celebration in Latin America, which will continue in 2023. In addition, Disney100 in Concert, developed in Latin America, will kick off in Argentina’s Opera House (Teatro Colón) in February, following an 11-country symphonic LATAM tour, where beloved characters will participate in generating a unique ensemble of music, film, and dancing. Tickets for Disney100 in Concert at Teatro Colón are on sale now.
- Disney will also celebrate its biggest fans in special ways throughout Disney100, with exclusive events, sneak previews, and, in September, a Disney100-themed Destination D23 just for Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club at Walt Disney World Resort.
- On November 22, Walt Disney Animation Studios will debut Wish, an original animated story with all-new characters, plus original music by Julia Michaels. From the teams that created the Frozen films, Wish is inspired by the Studios’ legacy of storytelling and explores how the star that so many Disney characters wished upon came to be.
Some of the Disney100 celebration has already begun! Earlier this month, Walt Disney Animation Studios debuted an all-new Oswald the Lucky Rabbit short, officially bringing back the beloved character to celebrate the Company’s 100th anniversary. On December 12, the first offerings from the Disney100 Platinum Celebration Collection launched on shopDisney, including the iconic Mickey Mouse Ear Hat with a platinum touch, Sketchbook Ornaments with classic designs of fan-favorite characters, and exclusive Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse plush.
Disney is excited to honor its milestone birthday in 2023 by continuing to bring both new and timeless stories to life for the fans who have sparked the magic and wonder that is Disney since the company’s founding on October 16, 1923. There is much more to come, which Disney looks forward to sharing soon.