Craving some delicious diner comfort food? Whether you’re making this pie to celebrate a holiday or just as a special treat for yourself, the Chocolate Mud Pie-O-Rama is sure to fill your tank with home-style deliciousness.
Makes 9-inch pie or eight 4-inch pies
CHOCOLATE MUD FILLING
2 cups unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
CHOCOLATE PIE DOUGH
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon coffee extract
FOR CHOCOLATE MUD FILLING:
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, mixing until smooth; take off heat and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and sugar.
- Add flour and sugar mixture to egg and vanilla mixture, whisking to combine. Use an immersion blender to thoroughly combine until completely smooth.
- Add chocolate and butter mixture; using immersion blender, mix until smooth and completely incorporated.
- Refrigerate, covered, for 24 hours.
FOR CHOCOLATE PIE DOUGH:
- Mix sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Slowly add eggs and vanilla extract until dough holds together and is no longer sticky.
- Dump dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap on the counter; press dough into a rough circle and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
FOR COFFEE GANACHE:
- Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan; pour hot cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in coffee extract.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll chocolate pie dough to ¼-inch thickness; if making mini pies, cut into eight 6-inch circles.
- Press dough into 9-inch pie tin or eight 4-inch pie tins; sides should reach the outermost part of the lip on the tin.
- Fill large shell ¾ full with filling or scoop ½ cup chocolate mud batter into each mini shell.
- Bake approximately 40 to 45 minutes for a large pie or 15 minutes for mini pies.
- Cool to room temperature. Add about 1 tablespoon coffee ganache into centers of pie slices (or mini pies) before serving.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens.
The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.,
and may not be reproduced without express permission.