. . . a taste of what’s new at Magic Kingdom’s Cinderella’s Royal Table restaurant
In the Spring 2015 issue of Disney twenty-three we offer a taste of what’s new at Magic Kingdom’s Cinderella’s Royal Table restaurant and the nearby Harambe Village at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, both at Walt Disney World Resort. Now we’d like to offer you the opportunity to enjoy a taste of Cinderella’s Royal Table at home, with this recipe for Turkey Pot Pie—gluten-free and a perfect comfort dish to warm up these last weeks of winter. And parents can take extra comfort in learning that this recipe has earned a Mickey Check, making it a nutritious choice that families can feel good about serving—and eating!
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup small diced onion
1 cup small diced celery
1 cup small diced carrots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/3 cup plus 2 cups rice flour, divided
4 cups vegetable stock
5 cups cooked turkey cut into bite-sized cubes
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1 cup coarsely shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat; add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are softened and onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup rice flour and cook 2 minutes more. Raise heat to high and whisk in vegetable stock. When mixture simmers, add turkey, thyme, sage, and pepper. Simmer until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 cups rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. Add butter, cheddar, and Parmesan; pulse 4 or 5 times for 2 seconds each time, until butter is in pea-size pieces. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in enough cream until dough holds together. (You may not use all of the cream.)
- Pat or roll dough to 1-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Trim edges and cut into 6 squares.
- Divide turkey mixture among 6 individual oven-safe dishes or ladle into one medium oven-safe casserole dish.
- Top each individual dish with one biscuit, or top larger casserole dish with all biscuits, leaving a half-inch space between each biscuit.
- Place casserole dish(es) on a baking sheet. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, 23 to 25 minutes.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity version in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.