For those of you with a sweet tooth
—or a mouth full of them!—we recommend this sinfully sweet recipe, the mouth-wateringly perfect “topping of the cake” to any of your own home-cooked culinary masterpieces. Then again, who really needs a meal when you can proceed directly to this molten deliciousness? While this delectable dessert is no longer available at California grill, you can treat yourself at home!
8 1-ounce semisweet chocolate squares, chopped or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 sticks of butter
5 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter sides of 6 individual (3/4 cup) ramekins. Lightly coat with sugar, shake out excess.
- Melt chocolate and butter in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until smooth.
- Remove from over water and cool 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl; add sugar and beat until thick and light, about 2 minutes.
- Fold in chocolate mixture. Sift flour, then fold into batter, mixing until smooth.
- Divide batter among prepared cups, filling 3/4 full. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 40 minutes or until sides of cake are set and middle is still soft. Do not over-bake.
- Using a small knife, cut around sides of cakes to loosen. Invert onto plates and serve with your favorite ice cream. Serves 6.
You can also use muffin tins; recipe makes 12. Bake for 15 minutes or until set and middle is still soft.