Disneyland Railroad Disneyland attraction that encircles the park; originally the Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad (1955-1974), changed to the new name on October 1, 1974. The original two locomotives, the E. P. Ripley and the C. K. Holliday were constructed at the Disney Studio and are named for pioneers of the Santa Fe Railroad. Because of the popularity of the trains, there was a need for more locomotives, so a third one was added in 1958, the Fred G. Gurley, named after the then-chairman of the railroad. Rather than build the new locomotive from scratch, the Disney designers found an old Baldwin locomotive built in 1894 which had been used to haul sugar cane in Louisiana. It was completely rebuilt for service at Disneyland. A fourth locomotive was located the following year and named for the man who was president of the railroad, Ernest S. Marsh. It was a somewhat newer model, built in 1925 and used in New England at a lumber mill. All trains are now open air, to afford the best views of the Disneyland scenery and the two dioramas (Grand Canyon and Primeval World) through which the trains pass. Originally, there was an enclosed passenger train, but the windows were too small to enable all guests to see the sights. The old passenger train was stored for many years in the back of the Disneyland roundhouse. There was also once a freight train, where guests rode like cattle in cattle cars; the novelty of that wore off quickly. Original stations were on Main Street and in Frontierland; a Fantasyland station was added in 1956 and a Tomorrowland station in 1958. The Fantasyland station became the Videopolis station in 1988 and the Toontown station in 1992. Walt Disney was so fascinated with trains, he built a 1/8-scale Carolwood Pacific Railroad that he built in the backyard of his Holmby Hills home. He was adamant that a train be a major part of the Disneyland experience. Many guests use it to get a overall view of the park before they venture out to the other attractions. During the years that Disneyland used tickets for the attractions, the railroad ticket was a long strip with coupons to be punched by the conductor, similar to those used in real railroads of the period.