Disney Villains Fantasyland shop at Disneyland, opened July 16, 1991. Formerly Merlin’s Magic Shop (1955-1983), Mickey’s Christmas Chalet (1983-1987), Briar Rose Cottage (1987-1991). The shop closed on May 30, 1996, to reopen on June 13 as The Sanctuary of Quasimodo, selling merchandise from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, until February 9, 1997. For a year it was the Knights Shop, then reverted to a villain shop as Villain’s Lair from 1998 to 2004. There was also a Villains shop at Disney-MGM Studios from 1991 to 1996. It took merchandisers many years to appreciate the appeal of the Disney villains, but now there are several lines of specially produced items and guests enjoy wearing T-shirts emblazoned with their favorite badguy or girl.