This southern staple from our friends at The Chew is sure to make your mouth water! For more recipes, visit TheChew.com and tune in weekdays at 1 p.m. ET/12 p.m. CT on ABC.
Southern Spice Layer Cake
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 packages cream cheese (softened, 8 ounces each)
- 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease three 9-inch cake pans with butter lined with parchment. Grease parchment with butter and dust pans with flour, shaking out any excess.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add light and dark brown sugar and butter and cream until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add oil and mix to combine. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt and whisk to combine. Add the flour to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk and ending with the flour. Allow to mix until just combined. Divide evenly between three prepared cake pans.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Remove to a baking rack to cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto the baking rack to cool completely. Meanwhile, make the cream cheese icing.
- For the cream cheese icing: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cream cheese and butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the powdered sugar gradually, beating until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- To assemble the cake: Trim the layers of the cake. Spread icing between each layer and stack the three layers on top of each other. Ice the outside of the cake evenly and serve.
- Tip: Use the spices that are on hand!