From our friends at The Chew, enjoy this mashed potato casserole that’s to die for! For more recipes, visit TheChew.com and tune in weekdays at 1 p.m. ET | 12 p.m. CT on ABC.
Mashed Potato Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds potatoes (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup store-bought fried onions
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Brush a casserole dish with the olive oil.
- Place a large pot of water over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Season with salt. Cook until tender, then drain well and return to the pot. Add the butter and, with a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Fold in the milk and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the potato mixture into the casserole dish and smooth the top.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the cheddar cheese, panko, and fried onions. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese mixture in an even layer. Place in the oven uncovered until golden brown on top, about 25–30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Tip: Perfect make-ahead casserole. Assemble the day before, keeping the topping separate from the mashed potatoes. An hour before the meal, just mix the topping, sprinkle over the casserole, and bake.