These Hunny Pots de Crème—inspired by our friend, Winnie the Pooh—are the perfect sweet treat to share with your honey!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
For Caramel Sauce:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or white chocolate candy melts
- 4 oven-safe ramekins or glass jars
- Baking dish
- Bubble wrap
- Fine-mesh sieve
Step 1: Make the Custard
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat a kettle of water until boiling.
- In a medium saucepan, combine cream, milk, honey, and salt. Heat over medium-low heat until honey is fully dissolved. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds, then add both the seeds and pod to the cream mixture. (If using vanilla extract instead, add now.) Once the mixture begins to steam, turn off the heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, quickly whisk the eggs yolks until lightened (about 30 seconds). Ladle the cream mixture into the eggs slowly, whisking constantly, to temper the eggs. Once all of the cream is incorporated, the mixture should be smooth and warm to the touch. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to remove remaining pieces of the vanilla bean.
- Place a wet paper towel or cloth in the bottom of the baking dish and arrange the 4 ramekins on top; the towel will prevent the ramekins from sliding around. Fill each ramekin equally with the custard. Place the baking dish in the oven, then carefully pour the hot water into the dish, being careful not to splash into the ramekins.
- Bake for 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of your ramekins. When the custard is ready, the sides should be set, but the center should be jiggly. Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and allow ramekins to cool on a drying rack.
- Once the pots are room temperature, chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or overnight.
Step 2: Make the Caramel Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, add sugar and heat on medium-low. Stir occasionally, and do not leave unattended. Sugar should first begin to clump, then melt.
- Once the sugar is mostly melted, add honey. Continuing stirring until sugar has fully melted and the honey is fully combined. The mixture should be a light golden-brown color.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until combined, then add heavy cream and a pinch of salt.
- Cool until room temperature, then set aside in the fridge until ready to assemble.
Step 3: Make the Topping
- Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 60 seconds, stir, then continue heating in 10-second intervals and stirring until fully melted.
- Lay out the piece of bubble wrap with the bumpy side facing up. Spread the melted chocolate on top, creating a thick, even layer.
- Place in the fridge to harden. Once set, slowly peel the bubble wrap off, revealing a honeycomb-shaped piece of chocolate. Using your hands, break the chocolate into four smaller pieces.
Step 4: Assemble
- Top each custard with a spoonful of caramel sauce. If sauce has thickened too much in the fridge, heat in microwave for 30-second intervals and stir until it reaches a thinner consistency.
- Print our Hunny Label Design and cut out each label. Wrap a label around each ramekin and tape in the back to secure it.
- Top each custard with a piece of chocolate honeycomb. Serve chilled or at room temperature and enjoy!