Does your little cave boy or cave girl have an appetite the size of a young Apatosaurus? When it’s time to gather for another day of holiday fun, start the day with a new family tradition. The perfect holiday breakfast, this oversized skillet scramble will feed the whole crowd.
- 3 cups firmly packed peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper and ¼ tsp. salt, combined
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl, and submerge completely in cold water. Let stand five minutes then drain and pat dry.
- Melt butter with vegetable oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onions and sauté three to five minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Stir in shredded potatoes and ½ tsp. salt. Cook for another 10 minutes or so, stirring often, until potatoes are golden and tender.
- Remove skillet from stove. Make six indentations in the potato mixture. Break one egg into each indentation. Sprinkle eggs with salt-and-pepper mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 14 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve immediately.