Since 1992, Christophe Coutanson has served as executive chef for Disneyland Paris and its sister, Walt Disney Studios Park, as well as at Disney Village, developing restaurant menus and buffets.
“Disney is all about creating magical moments for our guests throughout their stay,
. . . and my role and culinary philosophy is to bring the continuity of that magic into the dishes,” he explains. “I also believe a lot in our young apprentices and how important it is to pass on our culinary knowledge.” After sampling the recipe for the dish below, we know exactly what he means!
1⁄4 pound sugar snap peas, tough stems removed
3⁄4 pound carrots (about 4 to 5 medium carrots)
1⁄2 pound zucchini
1⁄2 large sweet red pepper
1⁄2 large sweet yellow pepper
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
3 tablespoons sesame oil
12 prawns or jumbo shrimp
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Salt and pepper
- Thinly slice sugar snap peas lengthwise.
- Slice carrots, zucchini, and peppers lengthwise using the julienne blade on a mandolin. Alternatively, very thinly slice all of the vegetables into long pieces the width of a matchstick.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water; set aside.
- Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil.
- Carefully place sliced vegetables into boiling water; boil for 11⁄2 minutes. Remove, and immediately transfer to prepared ice-water bath.
- Drain vegetables thoroughly in a sieve. Pat with paper towels to dry. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Cut peel, including the white pith, from oranges and grapefruit. Working over a small saucepan, carefully cut segments free from membranes.
- Cut segments into 1⁄2-inch pieces and place in a small bowl; set aside. Squeeze remaining juice from membranes into the saucepan.
- Place saucepan over high heat. Boil until juice is reduced and mixture is syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside to cool.
- When cool, whisk in lemon juice, sherry vinegar, and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
- Add sesame oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking to combine.
- Add dressing to vegetables in bowl, tossing to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle prawns with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat peanut oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Sear prawns 2 minutes per side, or until firm and pink.
Stir cilantro into vegetables. Evenly divide vegetables among 4 serving plates. Top with reserved citrus segments and 3 prawns each; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Serves 4 as a first course.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. All recipes are the property of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.