By the D23 team
Our Rugelach recipe is sure to be a hit with friends and family all year round! (For the younger set, make sure to have adult supervision—and have your parents do any cutting or chopping.)
- 21/2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes 6 oz cream cheese, cold and cut into small cubes 1 large egg yolk
Filling Ingredients (Chocolate filling, as shown)
- For a chocolate filling as shown 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Other Filling Ideas
- Nuts or dried fruits
- Food processor
Step 1: Make the dough
- In a food processor, add the flour, sugar, and salt, and pulse a few times to mix. Add the cubes of butter, cream cheese, and egg yolk. Pulse until the dough starts to combine into a moistened consistency, maybe half a minute. Remove the dough and place onto a flour-dusted work surface. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth. (Or, cut the ingredients together using a pastry cutter.)
- Separate into 3 equal amounts. At this point, decide which shape the rugelach will be. Either the spiral or the crescent shape—or both as shown.
- For the spiral shape: roll out the dough in a rectangle shape about 1/2” thick. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour. For the crescent shape, roll out the dough in a circular shape about 1/2” thick. Wrap and refrigerate the dough. If desired, refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Step 2: Make the filling
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place into a microwave safe bowl. Melt in 30-second intervals, stirring the melted chocolate with the un-melted. (Or use a double boiler method.)
- Stir in the sugar and salt. The mixture will be grainy.
Step 3: Roll out the dough
- Line the baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375°.
- For the spiral shape, roll out the dough to about 1/8” thickness on a lightly floured surface in a rectangle shape. Spread the warm filling onto the rectangle leaving a small amount of dough around the edges free of filling. Roll the dough in a tube shape. Chill the dough again for about 30 minutes. When cool, cut about 1” thick pieces with a sharp knife. Place the pieces with the seam down onto the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- For the crescent shape, roll out the dough in a circular shape to about 1/8” thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out shapes like a pizza. Apply the filling and then roll each cookie ending with the point.
TIP: Be sure the chocolate filling is warm when it is applied to the dough. Work quickly when rolling the dough before it cools. Place the cookies on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack.
Step 4? Enjoy! If you’ve just finished baking these delicious treats with us, be sure to send us a photo of your masterpiece and tag us @disneyd23 on Twitter and Instagram.
Looking for a printout? Download a PDF copy here.