D23 heads back to the Windy City to check in on the historic restoration project currently underway at The Walt Disney Birthplace. This fan-favorite event returns with new behind-the-scenes experiences—perfect for those guests who have visited in the past, and those visiting Walt’s birthplace for the first time! Plus, for a Behind-the-Scenes Experience first, D23 Gold Family Members are invited to bring up to three guests to this historic landmark.
D23 Gold and Gold Family Members will begin their morning at the Nixon Elementary School, located around the block from the birthplace, where Roy O. Disney went to school. While here, attendees will enjoy a delicious breakfast and special presentation from The Walt Disney Birthplace team. Guests will hear a brief history on the home, learn about the progress made since our last visit, and be among the first to see plans for the next chapter of the restoration!
The event will continue as guests walk a few blocks to the church that was constructed by Elias Disney and where Walt Disney was baptized. Attendees will enjoy a brief tour of the church before walking to the home where Walter Elias and Roy Oliver were born!
D23 Members will have the opportunity to tour the home, which was constructed by Elias Disney and designed by his wife, Flora, in small groups and see what the future holds for this Disney family landmark. Following the tours, the group will head to the backyard of the birthplace to enjoy root beer floats made from O-Zell Soda—a company started in 1912 by Elias Disney himself!
If interested, event attendees will have the opportunity to purchase a special T-shirt ($15) and/or a brick from The Walt Disney Birthplace ($125). Sale and proceeds will go to The Walt Disney Birthplace and are managed directly by the birthplace. Limited quantities will be available.
This D23 Behind-the-Scenes Experience wouldn’t be complete without an exclusive gift, created just for you!
The behind-the-scenes experience will begin promptly at 9 a.m. at the Nixon Elementary School and will last until approximately 12 p.m. Check-in will begin at 8:45 a.m. at the Nixon Elementary School. Additional event details will be communicated in the confirmation email.
- D23 Gold Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest; D23 Gold Family Members may reserve tickets for themselves and up to three (3) guests.
- Due to the state of construction of The Walt Disney Birthplace, all guests must be able to walk on uneven ground/surface and upstairs. Photography will be permitted at specific points during the event. No video or audio recording of any kind will be permitted.
- Due to the nature of this experience, all attendees must be at least 18 years of age or older to partake in this D23 event.
- This event does not include transportation, and guests will walk to and from each location, rain or shine.
- There are a limited number of tickets available. D23 Members will be required to provide their membership number when reserving tickets. Tickets may be picked up only with a valid photo ID AND D23 MEMBERSHIP CARD. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card may not be admitted to the event. Ticketed Members who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event.
- Gifts are distributed during D23 Member events only; those who do not attend will not be eligible to receive the event amenities.
- All D23 Special Events are subject to change without notice. There are no cancellations or refunds, and tickets are not transferable.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Filming, photography, and other recording will take place in Chicago, Illinois, during the event you will be attending. By entering the premises, you irrevocably consent to and authorize The Walt Disney Company, its affiliates, successors, and assigns (collectively “Producer”), to photograph you, make sound recordings of you, and use such photographs and recordings throughout the world, for any purpose whatsoever in perpetuity, including, but not limited to, television broadcasts and home entertainment products, including, but not limited to, home video and DVD. All such photographs and sound recordings will be the sole property of Producer.