Journey through the magic and wonder of Disney costumes and storytelling! D23 and the Walt Disney Archives invite you for a special preview event featuring the Walt Disney Archives Exhibition of Heroes & Villains: The Art of The Disney Costume.
In addition to being among the first to view the exhibit at its newest location—The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation in Dearborn, Michigan—attendees will also have a special presentation by Rebecca Cline, director of the Walt Disney Archives. And upon departure from the presentations, attendees will receive an event-exclusive gift and be able to access the entire museum on your own!
Please join us as we debut this exhibit at its latest location!
ABOUT THE EXHIBIT
This exhibit, which guests were first able to experience at D23 Expo 2019, includes costumes from some of Hollywood’s preeminent designers, past and present—including Academy Award® winners Colleen Atwood, Sandy Powell, and Tony Walton, as well as Emmy® winner Ellen Mirojnick and Emmy® nominees Eduardo Castro and Penny Rose.
Visitors will experience “Cinderella’s Workshop,” a gallery featuring the beloved fairy-tale character’s dresses from her numerous Disney incarnations, including 1997’s Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella; 2014’s Into the Woods; the 2015 live-action reimagining of the animated masterpiece Cinderella; and the ABC hit series Once Upon a Time.
The main gallery will be divided into three sections: “Disney Heroes,” “Disney Villains,” and “Spaces Between,” reserved for the antiheroes whose fascinating journeys make them among Disney’s most complex characters. There will also be interactive elements and plenty of chances for photo ops.
Among the costumes included in the “Disney Heroes” section are Belle’s village dress and ballgown from 2017’s Beauty and the Beast; Giselle and Prince Edward’s costumes from 2007’s Enchanted; and two iconic Mary Poppins “traveling dresses”—one from the 1964 original film and the other from 2019’s Mary Poppins Returns. “Disney Villains” ensembles include the trio of wonderfully wicked witches from 1993’s Hocus Pocus; the duo of dresses worn by the stepsisters in 2015’s Cinderella; and the dress worn by the incomparable Bette Davis in 1978’s Return from Witch Mountain. And “Spaces Between” includes Maleficent’s gown from the 2014 film, as well as the Evil Queen and Hook’s costumes from Once Upon a Time.
The event will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation in Dearborn, Michigan (near Detroit), with check-in opening at 8 a.m. at the museum welcome center. The event includes early access to the exhibit from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m., followed by a presentation from 10 to 11 a.m.; you’ll then be able to enjoy the entire museum on your own.
This event includes:
- Exclusive hour to tour Walt Disney Archives’ Heroes & Villains: The Art of The Disney Costume exhibit before it opens to general public.
- A special presentation with Rebecca Cline, director of the Walt Disney Archives
- Access to The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation exhibits after 11 a.m.
- D23 Exclusive Event Gift
To learn more about The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, click here.
- Children under 3 years of age receive complimentary admission.
- D23 Members may purchase up to four (4) tickets each.
- D23 Members must be present for their guests to gain entry to the event.
- There are a limited number of tickets available. D23 Members will be required to enter their membership login details when purchasing tickets. D23 Members who do not bring their membership card and tickets may not be admitted to the event. Membership card may be a physical card or digital membership card found in the D23 App.
- Ticketed Members and guests who do not attend the event forfeit their place as well as all experiences, benefits, and gifts associated with the event. D23 Members must be present for their guests to gain entry to the event.
- All Guests under age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to attend this D23 event.
- Children should be supervised. Guests under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 18 or older.
- All D23 Events are subject to change without notice. There are strictly no cancellations or refunds, and tickets are not transferable.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Filming, photography, and other recording will take place at the event you will be attending. By entering the premises, you irrevocably consent to and authorize Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., its affiliates, successors, and assigns (collectively “Disney”), to photograph you, make sound recordings of you, and use such photographs and recordings throughout the world, for any purpose whatsoever in perpetuity, including, but not limited to, television broadcasts and home entertainment products, including, but not limited to, home video and DVD. All such photographs and sound recordings will be the sole property of Disney.